Re: Is the Linux desktop really here ? was: Re: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out

Subject: Re: Is the Linux desktop really here ? was: Re: [linux-audio-user] ebay guy: looks like he figured it out
From: Gustavo Zamorano S. (gzsuniq_AT_cableonda.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 16:57:46 EET

Dave:

Here are some notes:

Web browser:

Get latest Mozilla release from www.mozilla.org. It could be 1.5 or the
1.6 beta.

Install java from java.sun.com

Also install the rpm plugger or get latest from
http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger.html

About printing from Mozilla:

To get a better printout from Mozilla you need to get the xprint printer
server from . http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xprint/

Mozilla will try to contact xprint to print. If xprint is installed it
will show you the list of installed printers, if not, it will just give
you option to select the print command (e.g. lpr).
Using xprint you can first select a print preview, then you can decrease
or increase font size , then send it to the desired printer. It will
save you some extra pages.
For example, using xprint will not split the last line so half line
appears in one page and half line appears on the next one. Xprint will
avoid that.

Xprint is used by another applications if installed.

XMMS:

Some Linux brands, like Red Hat are not including the MP3 plugin due to
copyrights. But, you can get them from ftp.redhat.com.
You can also get lot of plugins for XMMS, including ALSA or ARTSD plugins.

For word processing, of course: Openoffice 1.1. You can now create PDF
files fast! and open or create all kind of MS Office files.

Jpilot will work with your Palm or Visor PDA. There is a lot of Palm
pilot commands.

You can use kshowmail as a email checker.

You can get acrobat reader from Adobe. Linux has some other PDF readers.

Be sure to get latest Alsa drivers.

To chat with MSN friends: get AMSN or GAIM. You can also get Yahoo
messenger or AOL AIM messenger.

To have a Winmodem working: Pray a lot. They are plug and pray.

To buy a digital camera: Fisrt look if it is supported by Linux.
Digital Cameras are plug and play if suported by Linux.

To edit ascii files: VI of course.

To edit images: Gimp.

Then, have all of them to try to get to level 25 in ksokoban.

GZS

--
This Message is sent from my Red Hat 9.0 Linux server
      Machine Registration number 205692 at http://counter.li.org/

.-. Gustavo Zamorano S. .-. | Registered Linux user number 320898 .-. | | at http://counter.li.org/