[linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question

Subject: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question
From: Akos Maroy (darkeye_AT_tyrell.hu)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 20:41:42 EET

Hi,

I posted on this list a while ago, but still couldn't resolve one of my
problems. I have a Dela 1010LT card, which works nice with the envy24
ALSA driver. What I want to achieve is to record from this soundcard
through the OSS interface. I've been experimenting with /etc/asound.conf
and the aoss utility, but to no avail.

Basically what I want to achieve is to have a two channel /dev/dsp
device, which corresponds to adc 3&4 on the Delta card. in
/etc/asound.conf I have:

# adcdac 3&4
pcm.channel2 {
         type plug
         ttable.0.2 1
         ttable.0.3 1
         slave.pcm ice1712
}

which works nice when I use arecord -D channel2 ...

now, what I want to work is something following:

aoss sox -t ossdsp -r 44100 -c 2 -w /dev/dsp0 -t wav tmp.wav

but no matter how I try to generate a pcm.dsp0 section in
/etc/asound.conf, what I record is total silence :(

as far as I understand, I need a pcm.dsp0 section, which would describe
the /dev/dsp0 features. what I tried, among others is:

pcm.dsp0 {
         type plug
         slave.pcm "channel2"
}

but this doesn't work. (it may be a problem that there is actually an
OSS-driven /dev/dsp0 in the system. but setting pcm.dsp1 didn't work, it
gave me non-existent device errors) can someone give me hints on setting
up a proper pcm.dsp0 section?