Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question
From: Julien Claassen (julien_AT_c-lab.de)
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 21:29:49 EET

Hi!
  Which alsa do you use?
  What do you want to do? - If it is automated or just textbased recording and
effect processing, then it might be quicker to use ecasound. If you are
interested in this possibility, mail me directly and I'll tell you a bit about
it and I may give you some basic ways to use it for your purpose.
  Otherwise: Did you compile the oss-emulation for alsa? You said there might
be an oss-driver loaded? Do you have more cards? Can't those cards be used via
alsa?
  Generally I think, that the asound.conf isn't the right place to create a
/dev/dsp-device. This is a real device, as I understand it. It can be accessed
like a real (or close to real) oss device. What you've been doing sounds like
just creating alsaplugins. Those are - as I understand it - completely
different. They are just for alsa-programs and are based on different
mechanism.
  Kindest regards
        Julien

Julien Patrick Claassen