Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 12:09:35 EET

Hallo,
Julien Claassen hat gesagt: // Julien Claassen wrote:

> Generally I think, that the asound.conf isn't the right place to create a
> /dev/dsp-device. This is a real device, as I understand it. It can be accessed
> like a real (or close to real) oss device. What you've been doing sounds like
> just creating alsaplugins. Those are - as I understand it - completely
> different. They are just for alsa-programs and are based on different
> mechanism.

Well, Akos is trying to use the aoss library, which is designed to do
exactly that: map OSS devices to ALSA devices, that are normally out
of reach of OSS applications, which among others are those defined in
asoundrc-configuration files.

I don't think, it is possible to use channel 3+4 of a Delta card
directly through ALSA's OSS emulation, so aoss might be the only way
indeed. But I never used aoss for anything besides playback, so I have
no idea if it should work, sorry.

ciao