Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question
From: Akos Maroy (darkeye_AT_tyrell.hu)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 15:22:07 EET

Jan Weil wrote:
> Generally, there are two ways to achieve OSS compatibility.
> 1) You can load snd-*-oss kernel modules which will generate /dev/dsp* and friends.
> This is what you obviously did.
> 2) You can make an app believe that there is a /dev/dspX by preloading the aoss
> library. This is what you did in addition to 1).
>
> So currently you have a native OSS device, some emulated devices and you try to use
> aoss.
> Are you sure you need both of the latters?

no, I'm not sure :)

> Have you any reason for using aoss in favour of the kernel level emulation?

no, I don't, I just don't know enough about the ALSA OSS emulation...

> Assuming your snd-*-oss modules are setup correctly you should be able to access
> your alsa card through /dev/dsp1, leading to
> sox -t ossdsp -r 44100 -c 2 -w /dev/dsp1 -t wav tmp.wav

well, I tried, and it doesn't work:

$ sox -t ossdsp -r 44100 -c 2 -w /dev/dsp1 -t wav tmp.wav
sox: Can't open input file '/dev/dsp1': No such device

even though:

$ ls -l /dev/dsp1
crw------- 1 darkeye root 14, 19 Dec 11 17:25 /dev/dsp1

> For further information see the OSS-Emulation.txt file contained in the alsa-driver
> documentation.

thanks, I will consult that...

Akos