Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA -> OSS DSP question
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 17:23:18 EET

> > Actually, using Audacity/OSS with OSS emulation over ALSA we've
> > recorded with 8 inputs and 2 outputs using a Delta 1010.
> > (Audacity doesn't support more than 2 outputs in version 1.1.3,
> > but it does support up to 16 inputs in theory.)
>
> and how did you manage to set it up?

Standard Mandrake 9.1 install, simple .asoundrc listing the Delta 1010
as first card and an SB Live as second card, then point Audacity to
/dev/dsp and click the record button.

I have noticed that Audacity works best for this in 48KHz mode, where
we could record 8 inputs for long periods of time without any track
sync problems. At 44.1 KHz we can reliably record 6 inputs
simultaneously, but recording 8 inputs causes some quirks after a
minute or two.

This is probably due to Audacity rather than ALSA - I should point out
that the Audacity team was only working with a four input USB
soundcard when they designed the multichannel support, and I think
they were more suprised than I was when 8 channels worked via OSS
emulation.

Cheers

Daniel