Re: [linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] The trouble with disks
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Sat Dec 20 2003 - 06:26:46 EET

>>> What are the other options? I've looked
>>> at PCI latencies for card and drive
>>> controller, IRQ ordering (although APIC
>>> seems to make this irrelevant, or at least
>>> uncontrollable), OS disk scheduler
>>> anticipatory, deadline and cfq), tagged
>>> queueing (high values almost guarantee
>>> xruns on recording but don't seem to
>>> improve playback).

I did many of the tests that you mention above. I finally got to the
point were I bought half a gig of ram (now have approx. 800Megs) and
mounted my "Record Directory" on a tmpfs. I move everything in tmpsf and
only do periodic saves to hard disk of the files that are changed as I go.

I guess the (overly obvious) quesion is, are you running as root? It
sounds like you're savy enough to have thought of that. But I just
thought I would ask (just in case). Running as root can eleviate certain
problems.

Rocco