Re: [linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Suitable distro for audio works
From: LinuxMedia (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Sat Dec 27 2003 - 08:32:13 EET

guy.clotilde_AT_wanadoo.fr wrote:
> Not too much flames, just some campfire :)
> Kde is a very good environnment, but it asks fore so much cpu power!

I understand completly. I guess I have a very (perticular) goal. That is
  to set up the most "Windows-like" computer system so that when I bring
Windows people into using linux/audio it will make sense. Otherwise I
would be using fvwm2 (like I used to before). fvwm2 is great. It boots
up in seconds and can be configured from scratch to look and act like
anything you want it to look and act like.

> And what about Kde relation towards alsa and artsd?

I'm not entirly sure what you mean other than arts is turned on by
default when I install SuSE. But there's a way to turn it off if you go
to KDE Control Center and (un)check "Start aRts soundserver on KDE startup".

If aRts is more problematic than that, please let me know. I know that
prior to shutting it off, there were so many problems with running audio
apps. So if there's more to know, please tell me.

> I hope the flames weren't too hot, but you asked for it ;-)

Not at all. It was all good info.

Rocco