Re: [linux-audio-user] Re:Compiling!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re:Compiling!
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Dec 28 2003 - 11:07:20 EET

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, David Baron wrote:

> While the audio and MIDI still do not work on my linux, I downloaded a few
> packages to look at them. Gmorgan, Audour, etc.
>
> Once they FINALLY untar, the seemingly simple and by now familiar:
> ./configure; make; make install. NO GO.
>
> 1. Configure--usually looking for a certain automake version. This test is
> in error, but easy enough to fix up. The version string is defined up front.
> Edite to what you have on your system. Now, if you've installed any needed
> libraries, configure should run.

while this may work in some cases, most of the time it will not. do
upgrade your autotools (automake, autoconf, aclocal) to the required or *a
newer version* to save you and the developers a lot of hassle.
(if you do have a newer version than the one required, the hack you
mention will work.)

yes, the autotools are a pain in the ass sometimes. but when i skim over
a 10000-line generated configure script, i'm really thankful i don't have
to do all that by hand! they are damn hard to use, but then they are soooo
useful. when i see a program like ardour with a zillion dependencies,
header files and whatnot compile without errors (although it takes a while
to get there), i'm really glad to just do "autogen.sh && configure && make
-j4 && make install" instead of building it all by hand...

> 2. Make--complains about locale, defaults at least, requesting en_us, etc.
> Only problem with this is that my environment IS set that way. Then it
> complains about recursive directory references and aborts. A subdirectory
> with the same name of one of its ancestors is not necessarily a recursive
> reference so this is also a programming error. So I rerun with a
> do-it-anyway option -B. Still gets to some point and aborts.

weird. i have never seen this. does it happen with all packages you try to
compile? then my guess is something's wrong with your system. which
distro?

> 3. Make install--actually the same comments apply. After that, obviously
> will not install what was not compiled.

at least this works as expected ;)

best,

joern