Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with Audiophile

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Recording from SPDIF with Audiophile
From: Jan Depner (eviltwin69_AT_cableone.net)
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 15:56:19 EET

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 04:00, lau_AT_hippie-online.de wrote:
> What I want to have is a 1:1 copy of the audio data of a DAT deck. For
> this I use its SPDIF-out and plug it to the SPDIF-in of the Audiophile.
> Using envy24control I can route the signal to the cards internal mixer
> or to its outputs. But how can I record it to an audio file?
>
> Recording with Audacity results in a mute file. In its preferences I
> found the sole option /dev/dsp as recording device.

Try changing /dev/dsp to /dev/dsp0. Usually /dev/dsp is a link to
/dev/dsp0 but not always. Also, can you see the signal in
envy24control? If not, then you have to adjust the input levels
externally. I'm using a DSP24 card and I record from vinyl to digital
using Audacity. The difference is that I'm using a pair of the analog
inputs. I was under the impression that there might be a problem with
the SPDIF inputs on the envy24 chipset cards with ALSA but I could be
wrong. I've never used SPDIF on my system (don't have any digital stuff
;-)

Jan