Re: [linux-audio-user] Using Creative sb16 CSP(DSP) chip?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Using Creative sb16 CSP(DSP) chip?
From: Ryan Underwood (nemesis-lists_AT_icequake.net)
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 14:31:43 EET

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:16:55PM +0100, Pietro wrote:
> But what about A-law codec and u-law codec? I've tried to load them and use
> sox to transform a PCM wave to A-law or u-law wave, but sox does not seem to
> use my beloved DSP chip!

AFAIK those are only used for recording/playback of sound. If you load
the microcode for u-law for instance, DSP streams that are recorded will
be compressed with u-law, and you can playback raw u-law streams to the
card. This is speculation based on how the DOS drivers worked. I don't
think the chip can be used as a coprocessor.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis_AT_icequake.net>