Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Cardbus + multiface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Cardbus + multiface
From: Tim Blechmann (TimBlechmann_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 03:49:47 EET

> Do you have a second way of recording audio? Can you record this
> output?
i've got my old usb quattro, which should be able to record the output
... i could create a small mp3 ... i don't want anyone to get a huge
binary from a mailing list ... so maybe i should send it to all people
who are interested privately... (please drop me a line!)

> > the mixer works fine, i can route an input signal to the outputs,
> > but if a sound application is started (jack,aplay...) the sound
> > starts to get this distortion i described earlier ... when i change
> > the sample rate(hdspconf) the pitch of the distortion changes...
>
> I think this is might be important. BTW - what's in your .soundrc
> file?
i think you mean the .asoundrc:

pcm.hdsp0 {
        type hw
        card 0
}

ctl.hdsp0 {
        type hw
        card 0
}

pcm.hdsp_analog0 {
        type plug
        ttable.0.0 0
        ttable.1.1 0
        ttable.2.2 0
        ttable.3.3 0
        ttable.4.4 0
        ttable.5.5 0
        ttable.6.6 0
        ttable.7.7 0
        slave.pcm hdsp0
}

pcm.hdsp_adat0 {
        type plug
        ttable.0.8 0
        ttable.1.9 0
        ttable.2.10 0
        ttable.3.11 0
        ttable.4.12 0
        ttable.5.13 0
        ttable.6.14 0
        ttable.7.15 0
        slave.pcm hdsp0
}

pcm.hdsp_spdif0 {
    type plug
    ttable.0.16 0
    ttable.1.17 0
    slave.pcm hdsp0
}

> > the content of lspci -vv is:
> <SNIP>
> >
> > 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97
> > Audio(rev 05)
> > Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 0019
> > Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> > ParErr-
> > Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> > <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> > Latency: 0
> > Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
> > Region 0: I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
> > Region 1: I/O ports at 1880 [size=64]
>
> Does Alsa audio work correctly with the Intel controller?
it does ... as well as my old maudio quattro ...
> Comment to Tim - Tim, the slot you have chosen for the HDSP is using
> IRQ 5. (the second O2 controller) Can you switch to the other slot and
> take advantage of IRQ11 instead?
if i use the second pcmcia slot, i can manage to run the hdsp on irq11
... anyway, there are quite a few devices on this irq, too (pcmcia,
on-board sound, usb, eth0) ... on irq5 there are only the pcmcia and the
usb controller ... i suppose it's not possible to get the hdsp to use
another irq than the corresponding pcmcia controller ... if i'm wrong,
please correct me...

> <SNIP>
> >
> > i had to run hdsploader 2 times (hdsp.c:807)
>
> Not a good sign.
i could edit the hdsp.c
#define HDSP_LONG_WAIT xxx
#define HDSP_SHORT_WAIT xxx
using higher values than the default values ... which worked for me ...

> <SNIP>
>
> > Firmware version: 5
>
> Presumably this is the right version?
this is strange, true, i was using both firmware revision 10 and 11
included in alsa-firmware ...

> > i checked several configurations in the last 10 days ... several
> > alsa versions, i even installed kernel 2.6.1-rc3 ... no success
> > and i installed winxp, which worked fine ... so the device works ...
>
> Is this Win XP on this PC or you ran the card in a different PC?
i tried the devices on my laptop and the laptop of my roommate ... winxp
and winme ... both worked fine...

> > so it would be pretty cool, if you figure out what's the problem
> > with my system...
> >

> Sorry we haven't gotten you there yet.
>
> BTW - I have a friend who designs cardbus controllers for O2 Micro, so
> I can ask questions from the inside if we need some specific
> information.
it would be cool, if you could ask him about it ... maybe he has some
idea what's the problem ...

thanks a lot...

 Tim mailto:TimBlechmann_AT_gmx.de
                              ICQ: 96771783

--
The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,