Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Cardbus + multiface

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RME Cardbus + multiface
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 19:53:55 EET

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 09:48, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> > Currently with the card inserted what is the output from
> > 'lspci -v' ?
> > If you can more fully express the symptoms of your problem, then we
> > can help solve it. If you have done so before, I don't think I saw
> > it....
>
> the hdsp is recognized by the system, the modules load (more or less)
> fine, i can upload the firmware ... but when i try to play a sound the
> sound sounds distorted ... a sound-file played with aplay seems to have
> the right pitch, but takes longer than it should ... it seems that there
> are gaps of a few ms where nothing is played ...

Do you have a second way of recording audio? Can you record this output?

> the mixer works fine, i can route an input signal to the outputs, but if
> a sound application is started (jack,aplay...) the sound starts to get
> this distortion i described earlier ... when i change the sample rate
> (hdspconf) the pitch of the distortion changes...

I think this is might be important. BTW - what's in your .soundrc file?

> the content of lspci -vv is:
<SNIP>

> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio
> (rev 05)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 0019
> Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 0
> Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
> Region 1: I/O ports at 1880 [size=64]

Does Alsa audio work correctly with the Intel controller?

<SNIP>

> 02:00.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6933 Cardbus Controller (rev
> 01)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 0019
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 168
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
> Region 0: Memory at 20000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=02, secondary=03, subordinate=06, sec-latency=176
> Memory window 0: 20400000-207ff000 (prefetchable)
> Memory window 1: 20800000-20bff000
> I/O window 0: 00004400-000044ff
> I/O window 1: 00004800-000048ff
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt- PostWrite+
> 16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001
>
> 02:00.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6933 Cardbus Controller (rev
> 01)
> Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI]: Unknown device 0019
> Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
> <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 168
> Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 11
> Region 0: Memory at 20001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Bus: primary=02, secondary=07, subordinate=0a, sec-latency=176
> Memory window 0: 20c00000-20fff000 (prefetchable)
> Memory window 1: 21000000-213ff000
> I/O window 0: 00004c00-00004cff
> I/O window 1: 00005000-000050ff
> BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- ISA- VGA- MAbort- >Reset- 16bInt+ PostWrite+
> 16-bit legacy interface ports at 0001

<SNIP>

> 03:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall
> DSP (rev 0a)
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
> Stepping+ SERR- FastB2B-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> Latency: 64
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
> Region 0: Memory at 20800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

Question to OTHER users- has anyone else had success using the O2 Micro
Cardbus Controller?

Comment to Tim - Tim, the slot you have chosen for the HDSP is using IRQ
5. (the second O2 controller) Can you switch to the other slot and take
advantage of IRQ11 instead?

Please note that ANY cardbus device is going through a PCI-PCI bridge.
This basically buffers all transactions between the Cardbus card and the
internals of the PC. Note the primary and secondary bus numbers on both
controllers (primary == 2, secondary == 3 or 7)

<SNIP>

> i had to run hdsploader 2 times (hdsp.c:807)

Not a good sign.

<SNIP>

> Firmware version: 5

Presumably this is the right version?

> i checked several configurations in the last 10 days ... several alsa
> versions, i even installed kernel 2.6.1-rc3 ... no success
> and i installed winxp, which worked fine ... so the device works ...

Is this Win XP on this PC or you ran the card in a different PC?

<SNIP>

> i'm nearly at a point where i consider selling my (not that old)
> notebook (acer aspire 1400) and buying a new one ...

Not yet, and certainly not if you ran Win XP on this machine and the
card was fine.

> so it would be pretty cool, if you figure out what's the problem with my
> system...

Sorry we haven't gotten you there yet.

BTW - I have a friend who designs cardbus controllers for O2 Micro, so I
can ask questions from the inside if we need some specific information.

- Mark