Re: [linux-audio-user] [admin] Re: Stopping Reply-to munging

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [admin] Re: Stopping Reply-to munging
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 19:37:28 EET

Hallo,
Joern Nettingsmeier hat gesagt: // Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >I must have missed this complains, but until now I also missed, that
> >the Reply-to is indeed munged. As this is considered bad practice for
> >a lot of reasons
>
> as well as good practice for about the same number of

bad ;)

> reasons

SF considers it bad:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=6693&group_id=1

> >(search google for "reply-to munging harmful")
>
> search google for "reply-to munging considered useful" :-D

This reply also got a good reply here:
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/listreplyto.txt

> well, personally i like the reply-to, and imho that's exactly what
> it's for. we've had this discussion a couple times iirc. but then,
> if you want to vote again, be my guest.

Well, I wasn't aware that this was discussed here before. Actually I
don't think, this has to be discussed at all, as it's one of those
topics, where everyone has a solid, unchangable opinion.

Thus these are my last words on this topic: personally I'm strictly
against munging, the Lion's discussion may have showed one of the
reasons, we all don't use Outlook, so we in general have List-reply-to
functions in out mail clients, all SF lists don't munge, you cannot
carry a thread across alsa-user, and so on. The arguments are
probably known without me having to repeat them.

So: *If* there is another vote in the future, count me in as
anti-munger. If not, well, then not.

ciao