Re: [linux-audio-user] zipper noise during playback

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] zipper noise during playback
From: Rocco (linuxmedia4_AT_netscape.net)
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 16:42:03 EET

>>> I've already written to the usual lists
>>> about this problem, but as yet
[...]
>>> During playback of audio in JACK apps
>>> (Snd, Ardour, SC3) the sound wil often
>>> start out fine but after a few minutes
>>> it begins to distort in a "zipping"
>>> fashion, like it's out of sync with itself.
>>> After a few minutes it returns to stability.
>>> It's starting to be a real problem for
>>> me, so I thought I'd ask here again if anyone
>>> else has experienced this
>>> problem and what did you do to fix it.

I'm not completly sure it's the same thing, but I've experienced some
distorted sounds (rumbling and fluttering) lately. I have 2 SBLive
cards, but I'm not running jack. I get it when I record with ecasound.
Although, I have a kind of complex set-up with the first card being the
"in" card, and capture set so I can use the second card as the "monitor"
card (capture set so soft synth can record and second card as monitor so
that the "dry" signal and the "effected" signal don't get mixed in the
resulting file). So it's hard to really say what's going on. But I've
experienced this before. I think back a few years ago it had to do with
me playing a 44100 file in ecasound while "monitoring" at 48000. Or
maybe it had to do with the ecasound "rc" file set at 44100 while
monitoring (or playing a file) at 48000. But I'm not sure if this is
what's going on now (two "things" of different sampling rates trying to
work together). I've installed different versions of ecasound over
time... the "rc" files are in differnet places... and since I've been so
busy with so many projects, I haven't formally started the witch hunt
yet. I also had this problem a long time ago when I was using only one
SBLive Card. First it was because aRts was running. Then it happened
when I was using the -r option to ecasound while running as (non)root.
But you've been around a lot longer than I, so I'm sure these last two
things are "old news" for you (-:

Not only does mine start up with noise (and then dissapear
eventually)... sometimes, it will magically disapear completly so I can
have a mental rest during a session. The the "Rumble Fairy" comes back
eventually (-:

There I go again... creating more questions than answers (-: Maybe I
should just roll up my sleaves and finally get down to finding out
what's going on. I'm just having too much fun with tcl/tk right now.

>>> Btw, I don't have the problem during playback from XMMS or xine.

Same here... it only shows up for me when I'm using ecasound. More
specifically... it doesn't cause problems when I do...

ecasound -i:/dev/dsp -o:/dev/dsp1

But when I introduce playing a sound file along with "monitoring" (the
above example), then the rumbling starts.

Rocco