[linux-audio-user] which device to purchase for SP/DIF or AES/EBU?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] which device to purchase for SP/DIF or AES/EBU?
From: Russell L. Harris (rlharris_AT_broadcaster.org)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 00:29:27 EET

I have just installed AGNULA/demudi-1.1.0 in my desktop machine (Intel
Celeron processor).

My need is to transfer two channels (that is, stereo) digitized sound
back and forth between a Tascam CR-RW2000 and a Pentium-class desktop
computer, so that the sound can be edited. The Tascam has both SP/DIF
coaxial and AES/EBU inputs and outputs.

I have no need for multi-channel operation (other than stereo), nor for
midi or routing.

Recent postings on the alsa-user mail list make me lean toward purchase
of a RME sound card, but I am confused as to which RME cards ALSA
supports. I also am confused as to whether a "multiface" or "digiface"
is required. The RME web site says that ALSA drivers are available for
the DIGI9652 and the DIGI9636; but these models are not listed on the
ALSA Sound Card Matrix web page.

Another possibility is to purchase a USB or Firewire device which
supports SP/DIF or AES/EBU input and output.

The main consideration is ALSA support: which devices (manufacturer
and model) work reliably and bug-free under ALSA?

RLH