[linux-audio-user] RE: Should I Bother Learning Csound?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] RE: Should I Bother Learning Csound?
From: Peter Groves (pgroves_AT_uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 19:26:34 EET

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 linux-audio-user-request_AT_music.columbia.edu wrote:
| From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp_AT_bright.net>
| Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Should I Bother Learning Csound?

| Considering the low cost of each of these systems, why not try them
| all ? You might also want to consider Common Lisp Music, a Lisp-based
| system. Btw, both CLM and SC3 are very much object-oriented languages,
| while Csound and RTcmix are modeled after more procedural languages.

Well, that would be ideal, but I'm trying to get the most power for the
smallest amount of time spent learning it. Given all the comments, I
think I will give Csound a shot. I use java at work, so I'm used to
using a crappy language just because it has good libraries. When writing
similar code over and over, I have resorted to writing my own
template/preprocessor before. If I really end up liking what csound can
do, but hate the language constructs, I might go down that road. I think
I might have seen something like that done already Python, but I can't
recall where right now.

| Finally I would urge the beginner to make a real study of some other
| language, i.e., C/C++, Java, whatever, along with learning a sound &
| music programming language. That assumes the time for such study, but
| consider it time well spent, you'll learn a lot by the inevitable
| comparisons.

agreed.