Re: [linux-audio-user] Noob...Latency, Mandrake and Dell questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Noob...Latency, Mandrake and Dell questions...
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2004 - 19:39:13 EET

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 08:43:03 -0800, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> The Dell Latitude has a Maestro3 PCI audio accelerator chip. (Not real
> high end I know but works sufficiently well with Sonar XL)
>
> If I set Jack parameters in Qjackctl any lower than 1024 I get Xrun
> mayhem. (at 44100) I have also tried this running from consoles as root
> and it does not seem to make much difference. Am I expecting too much?

Yes, I cannot get the M3 in my Dell i8100 to work reliably below 2048
either. I've tried reducing the period size and increasing the number of
fragments, but it doesnt seem to help.

Its interesting that you got OK performance under windwos (I've never
really used windows on mine), It looked like it was a hardware problem.
I've thought about using PCMCIA audio, but the cards seem quite expensive,
and I've thought about USB, but its too much of a hack, so I just live
with it.

- Steve