Re: [linux-audio-user] Should I Bother Learning Csound?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Should I Bother Learning Csound?
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 17:05:23 EET

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:

>I'm currently accessing the supercollider synth fromwithin pure data
>using the python PD external. I'd say its a supergreat combination
>where you get easy/clean programming with python, functional programming
>with the guile pd-external, sound processing power with SC3, and
>GUI with pd. Check out the supercollider module in the pure-data
>CVS.

I'll check it out.

Great, now I can start learning Python. Great. ;-)

>> Finally I would urge the beginner to make a real study of some other
>>language, i.e., C/C++, Java, whatever, along with learning a sound &
>>music programming language. That assumes the time for such study, but
>>consider it time well spent, you'll learn a lot by the inevitable
>>comparisons.
>>

>Hmm, I would rather reccomend common lisp/scheme or python than
>c/c++ and java for music purposes. C are fine for making hardware drivers,
>c++ can be fine if you need OO to C, and java is horrible in all possible
>ways. My opinion. :)

Note that I'm not recommending them for music purposes (that's what the
sound & music languages are for anyway) and that I purposely omitted the
scripting languages.

And yes, I would agree re: Lisp. In fact, on an extreme day I might say
"Forget all the rest and just go learn Lisp"... ;)

Best,

dp