Re: [linux-audio-user] multiple MIDI interfaces

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] multiple MIDI interfaces
From: Chris Pickett (chris.pickett_AT_mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 18:15:36 EET

Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 06:33, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

>>or UM-550: http://www.edirol.com/products/info/um550.html
>>Only the UM-550 can do routing in hardware. (Usually, only 8x8
>>interfaces can do routing.)
>>I don't know if it's possible to control the UM-550 by software (try
>>asking Edirol), but it has a sixth port (labeled "Control" in the
>>Windows driver), so it may be possible to do something with SysEx's.
>

> That one looks interesting. Kind of on the expensive side ($200) but
> appears to be a good piece of hardware.
>
> I understand the concept of routing in hardware, and i see the
> advantages, but wouldn't that prevent aconnect/kacconect to do their
> normal job?
> I mean, can i override with acconect whatever settings are made in
> hardware? (i assume UM-550 can be configured via its buttons or
> something)
> In general, is there any way to control this interface in software under
> Linux?
> (hope i'm making sense)

Hi Florin,

I have the UM-880. In the back of the owner's manual is a detailed MIDI
implementation chart for remote control. I've only ever used the
buttons on the front myself.

The nice thing about these boxes is that you can chain up to four of
them together if you ever get more MIDI devices, although I'm not sure
if and how it affects performance. They're also rack-mountable (not
sure about the UM-550).

Anyway, I haven't switched my audio stuff over to Linux yet, but will
try sometime in the next couple months. Keep in touch if you do end up
getting either the UM-550 or UM-880.

Cheers,
Chris