[linux-audio-user] offline processing

Subject: [linux-audio-user] offline processing
From: Chris Pickett (chris.pickett_AT_mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 03:28:59 EET

Hi,

I've been wondering: what is it like processing audio offline under
Linux? Is this something that is widely supported? I did a bunch of
google searches using the term "offline" but couldn't find anything
really useful.

My computer is fairly weak (800 MHz laptop, no DSP card). Currently, if
I want to process a file (apply effects, change the sample rate, apply
dithering, mix it with another file, etc. etc.), I get the best results
/ greatest efficiency if I do disk bounces that don't require real-time
processing. Steinberg seem to be very proud that they now support this,
which suggests that it isn't the norm, at least under Windows (I don't
think Logic ever supported it under Windows).

I'm also curious if there's general support to process MIDI offline as
well, but that's not so critical to me, since the computations are far
less intense.

Cheers,
Chris