Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing
From: Chris Pickett (chris.pickett_AT_mail.mcgill.ca)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 09:34:29 EET

lee_AT_fallingforward.net wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Chris Pickett wrote:
>

>>I've been wondering: what is it like processing audio offline under
>>Linux? Is this something that is widely supported? I did a bunch of
>>google searches using the term "offline" but couldn't find anything
>>really useful.
>

> Try searching for keywords like "non-realtime processing and DSP". I think
> the term "offline" is pretty specific to the motion picture industry. Look
> for programs like sox, Audacity, oggenc, lame and various LADSPA plugins.
> You'll find what you need there.

Thanks, "non-realtime" helps a lot (I was using Steinberg's term,
"offline"). I posted that long reply to Erik before I got your
response. Now it seems like there actually are many things dependent on
working in realtime. I think the guy asking about non-realtime
rendering in this old thread was asking what I'm trying to ask now
(although oddly, I can't find the top of the thread in the archives):

http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2003-June/004158.html

If things have changed in the last 6-8 months I'm interested to hear.
I would be intrigued if, for example, JACK could now synchronize
applications and plugins to a slower- or faster-than-realtime clock,
depending on the processing power needed, or even if there were still
future plans for this.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. If I'm not mistaken, the Steinberg equivalents of JACK, LADSPA,
and ALSA are ReWire, VST, and ASIO respectively -- somebody please
correct me if that's wrong.