Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 11:43:46 EET

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:28:59 -0500, Chris Pickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering: what is it like processing audio offline under
> Linux? Is this something that is widely supported? I did a bunch of
> google searches using the term "offline" but couldn't find anything
> really useful.
>
> My computer is fairly weak (800 MHz laptop, no DSP card). Currently, if

Thats plenty of power, I demonstrated ardour, JAMin and treqtweak at an
expo recently on an 800MHz laptop using the internal soundcard (I thought
it was running at 1.2, but messed up).

You need at least 256MB of ram, preferably 512, but that kind of setup is
fine for RT audio.

If oyu particularly want to use offline processing I would recommend you
look at ecasound, but it has a bit of a learning curve.

- Steve