Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 17:53:51 EET

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 08:28:59PM -0500, Chris Pickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering: what is it like processing audio offline under
> Linux? Is this something that is widely supported? I did a bunch of
> google searches using the term "offline" but couldn't find anything
> really useful.
>
> My computer is fairly weak (800 MHz laptop, no DSP card). Currently, if
> I want to process a file (apply effects, change the sample rate, apply
> dithering, mix it with another file, etc. etc.), I get the best results
> / greatest efficiency if I do disk bounces that don't require real-time
> processing. Steinberg seem to be very proud that they now support this,
> which suggests that it isn't the norm, at least under Windows (I don't
> think Logic ever supported it under Windows).

I believe Ardour now supports track "freezing" - i.e. writing
all mixing & plugins for a track to disk. I haven't tried it yet.

> I'm also curious if there's general support to process MIDI offline as
> well, but that's not so critical to me, since the computations are far
> less intense.

some options here... TiMidity, csound.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's WONDER MULE OF INDONESIA! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)