Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] offline processing
From: Jack O'Quin (joq_AT_io.com)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 18:11:40 EET

Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> Hmm... I've no idea what that would do - youd have to ask whover
> implemented freewheel. I think you have to feed the output of JAMin back
> into ardour (or some other non-RT capable recorder) for it to work.

That's right. Paul Davis invented and implemented freewheel. It
basically disconnects the JACK graph from the audio device and runs
cycles as fast as it can. IIUC, this was primarily for rendering to a
file with ardour.

> I have to admit I've never tried it, I'm not even sure how you engage
> freewheel :)

Using the example client...

 $ jack_freewheel y
 $ jack_freewheel n

The library interface is: jack_set_freewheel(client, onoff);

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 07:40:52AM -0800, R Parker wrote:
> > stereo file in ardour to jamin input, jamin out to
> > hardware

This doesn't work because the device is out of the loop. As Steve
said, you can capture the result to another ardour track or use a
different recorder, like jackrec or ecasound. But you can't listen
while doing it, so it's not very useful for mastering.

--
  joq