[linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?
From: Richard K. Ingalls (ringalls_AT_glenwood.k12.mo.us)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 23:06:38 EET

I'm still very new to Linux Audio Workstations
(I've been a Cakewalk/Sonar/SoundForge user for
years), so please forgive me if the question seems
very basic...

I'd like to build a computer to take with me for
live gigs that can replace sound module racks (do
softsynth/sample playback, multi-timbral,
polyphony, etc.). In other words can it replace
an Alesis QSR, a Kurzweil K2000RS and a Korg TR?
Can I do this and still have great
sounds/synth/samples?

So the question is can a Linux DAW do this? If
yes, what are the specs for such a machine?
CPU? RAM? Motherboard? Sound card (very
important, eh)?

Thanks to all who post!

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls_AT_glenwood.k12.mo.us web....glenwood.k12.mo.us ph.....417.256.4849 fax....417.257.2567