Re: [linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] A machine for live gigging?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 00:29:53 EET

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 03:06:38PM -0600, Richard K. Ingalls wrote:
> I'm still very new to Linux Audio Workstations
> (I've been a Cakewalk/Sonar/SoundForge user for
> years), so please forgive me if the question seems
> very basic...
>
> I'd like to build a computer to take with me for
> live gigs that can replace sound module racks (do
> softsynth/sample playback, multi-timbral,
> polyphony, etc.). In other words can it replace
> an Alesis QSR, a Kurzweil K2000RS and a Korg TR?
> Can I do this and still have great
> sounds/synth/samples?
>
> So the question is can a Linux DAW do this? If

It can do some of that. Exactly how much depends on how much effort youre
going to put into setting it up.

> yes, what are the specs for such a machine?
> CPU? RAM? Motherboard? Sound card (very
> important, eh)?

For soundcards RME and M-Audio are youre best bet, avoid USB if you can.
The processor doesnt really matter, but you probably want something with
decent floating point performance, so a Pentium 4 or Athlon XP. You want
512+ MB of ram.

VIA C3's are tempting for this kind of job (very small, low power
motherboards), but in my experience they are a bit too slow.

- Steve