Re: [linux-audio-user] What is status vxpocket + alsa + jack

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] What is status vxpocket + alsa + jack
From: digger vermont (dv_mlist_AT_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 05:05:24 EET

Hi Robert,
        Thanks for the clarification. It xcertainly neededit after my
explaination :)

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 03:27, Robert Jonsson wrote:

> There's a misunderstanding here somewhere. The samplerate you are running at
> doesn't have anything to do with the size of the buffers you set up. (Well it
> does, but in this discussion it does not.)
>
> 44.1khz, e.g. CD-standard is definitely supported by JACK, infact I think
> pretty much any samplingrate is supported as long as the CARD/driver can
> support it.
> Now, in reality most cards only support the standard samplerates e.g. 32khz,
> 44.1khz, 48khz, 96khz...

 I do recall reading that part of the problem with usb-audio is in the
spec itself.

> ---
> Now, the size of the buffers, which normally are limited to ^2 are the amount
> of data that the card/driver pre-buffers. You usually have a setting for
> number of buffers also.
> Lower is often better, causes less latency, but it also puts more strain on
> the computer.
> USB based soundcards do particularily don't like the ^2 sound-buffers, I think
> there is a patch for jack so it supports any buffer size (unless it's already
> integrated into jack...which is possible).

If the patch is ion there I don't know how to use it. In the end it
seems that usb-audio just isn't the wat to go if I want to use jack.

Thanks,

digger