Re: [linux-audio-user] high-quality resampling

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] high-quality resampling
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 09:09:25 EET

On 18 Feb 2004 21:20:52 -0800
Florin Andrei <florin_AT_andrei.myip.org> wrote:

> I'm searching for a way to resample audio while preserving the highest
> quality possible. One possible target would be the 96 --> 44.1
> conversion, for obvious reasons, but other ratios are not excluded.
>
> I'm speaking mostly from an "audiophile" perspective; raw numbers are
> good ("while using this tool, you preserve such-and-such signal to noise
> ratio and such-and-such bandwidth...") but i'd also like to hear about
> musical tests, if anyone performed anything like that.
>
> What would be the Linux tools that are supposed to provide the
> highest-quality resampling (according to the above definition of
> "quality")?
>
> libsamplerate?

There are two aspects to resampling:

   a) maximizing signal to noise
   b) maximizing passband width

If you can find anything that beats libsamplerate in both of these areas,
I want to know about it.

Erik (author of libsamplerate :-))

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Percussive Maintenance: The fine art of whacking the c**p out
of an electronic device to get it to work again.