Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Pete Bessman (ninjadroid_AT_ml1.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 22:40:47 EET

At Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:07:58 -0600,
Benjamin Flaming wrote:

> I must admit, I was reluctant to sign up for Yet Another User Account On
> A Web Site I'll Probably Never Visit Again. I'm very glad I did, however - I
> enjoyed your tune *very* much!

Geez, what to say...

w00t

I'm glad you like it.

> The only thing that bothered me was the piano at about 4:00. It felt too
> thin and small to blend into the rich musical backdrop you'd created, and it
> didn't quite feel raw enough to be out-of-place in a "good" sort of way.
> FWIW, you might try reversing the piano samples, or perhaps doing something
> to make them sound cheaper/grainier and/or stranger. Alternatively, you
> could dump a bunch of reverb on it to give it more of an ethereal quality,
> but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun, would it? ;)

I agree %100. I think low-pass filtering it a bit, then adding a
smothering reverb, would do the trick nicely. Here's why I didn't do
that:

* Specimen doesn't support LADSPA effects for patches (yet!), so I
couldn't just add the necessary effects.

* Specimen doesn't support individual JACK ports for patches (yet!),
so you can't run the output through, say, JackRack with the LADSPA
host. You'd have to wet down the whole output.

* Seq24 doesn't support the JACK transport API. As it was, after
recording the Specimen parts into Ardour I had to manually align it
all. As you can imagine, this is a pain and I wasn't keen on doing it
for overdubs.

The shortcomings for Specimen will be rectified quickly, and I will
patch Seq24 directly if necessary. Really, if I just made the piano
quieter it wouldn't be nearly so bad, but then I'd have to re-record
the whole Specimen part. And one thing would then lead to another and
I'd spend too much time tweaking the song and not enough coding.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and I encourage you to hack the
track up and regurgitate it however you see fit. I'm a big remix fan,
and if there's some place on the web where I can put the "sources,"
I'll gladly upload (my web host would shoot me in the nuts if I tried
to put them up on my website).

[pb]