Re: [linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?
From: Florin Andrei (florin_AT_andrei.myip.org)
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 10:57:56 EET

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 14:05, Kent, Gary wrote:
> Hi:
> Hope this isn't off topic for this list. Would someone be
> willing to suggest a Window Manager that would work well with a Linux
> audio box using the Planet CCRMA images? I have used the Gnome and KDE
> environments and just have come to feel that they are too bloated for
> what I'm trying to do.
> Does using a Window Manager instead of a full-blown desktop such
> as Gnome mean that I can have more audio processing power since I am
> giving up graphics overhead?

If your system is not too old and slow, and if you use a kernel tweaked
for audio, any WM should do.

I'm using Gnome and it works fine. There are a few things tho' that you
can tweak:
- turn off font antialiasing, it is quite CPU-hungry, or do not run
gnome-terms maximized with text scrolling in them (this will make your
system skip if you use font antialiasing)
- don't load up too many Gnome applets
- avoid launching or closing big apps such as Mozilla, Evolution,
OpenOffice, etc. (but you can keep them open with no issues)

> I am trying out fvwm and it is pretty sparse, but was wondering
> what others might suggest as best for audio?

FVWM is kinda too sparse for my taste :-)

FluxBox is pretty good. Very small, not as rigid as FVWM, very fast, not
taxing the CPU. I'm using it all the time in VNC - most of my desktops
also run a FluxBox instance in a VNC server all the time in the
background, so that i can vnc into them if i want to.
Using Gnome in VNC would be ridiculous, due to memory consumption and
all, but FluxBox is so small, your system won't feel it.

Also, WindowMaker and derivatives should be fine as well.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/