Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 07:14:07 EET

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 20:38, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>

>>In the Free Software world code talks and bullshit walks.
>

> I find this whole conversation quite interesting since LS seems to be
> getting slammed and yet I'm using it. Yeah, it's got problems and
> limitations and the people who work on it run hot and cold. It's got no
> GUI and cannot be used with other programs, but it does work.

Except JACK :)

> http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files/Glass1.ogg
>
> A part of this is done using LS
>
> http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files/LS_Bounce-2003-12-21.ogg
>
> This is the Bardstown Bosendorfer Gig running by itself as a test case
> in LS.
>
> MIDI was done in Pro Tools and all audio was recording in Pro Tools at
> 44.1K.

Yes. I just downloaded and installed it too. Also took some time to read
the draft of the documentation. Hardly a draft IMO (23 pages).

I guess people are just jumping to conclusions that Linux sampler is a
dead project.

After taking the time to do this I'm wondering if Linux sampler is the
project for me. I could easily do some work on a gui. But I prefer to
work with wavefiles and because I have no midi instruments maybe
linxsampler is overkill for my needs. The concept is rock solid though.

Buffer a small amount of the file into ram and then stream from disk.

Lets see. I have alsaplayer which needs sample accurate playback and tX
which needs to stream from disk instead of RAM. Maybe I'll work on those
today instead.

Although I do agree with Eric that written code is worth it's weight in
gold.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street. Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM