Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 11:07:56 EET

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:15:11 +0900
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com> wrote:

> What is their style?
>
> Seems to me that you have definitely implemented a nicely coded
> interface that could relatively easily be integrated with linux sampler.

The specimen GUI is written in C/GTK+. It is my understanding that
LinuxSampler is C++/QT.

> Currently there is no actual gui although and as Mark said Rui is
> looking into the qt version.

Peter already said that he doesn't like QT and he doesn't like C++.
That is more then enough reason for Pete to say away from
LinuxSampler.

> Assuming you have some spare time it would not take you very long to add
> the calls for each button and place that shell up for one of the main
> developers to make some changes to the backend.

You are drastically understating the complexity of what you are
suggesting Pete should do.

> Then you will be
> transformed from "man working alone on small project which accomplishes
> some new things" to "part of professional team creating new project that
> amazes a whole sector of the professional audio world".

Patrick, please don't take this the wrong way, I'm really not trying
to be offensive, but you, as someone who doesn't code (please correct
me if I'm wrong) it seems a little strange for you to be handing out
this advice. Like i said, I wasn't trying to be offensive with that
statement. I do know that you make large contributions to documentation,
evangelisation and probably also things like bug reporting.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Everything that I've learned about computers I have boiled
down into three principles:
  PC/Windows: You think it won't work, and it won't.
  Macintosh: You think it will work, but it won't.
  Unix: You think it won't work, but if you find the right
        guru, you can make it work.