Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop tuning

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptop tuning
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 20:57:36 EET

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 10:24, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 07:19:59PM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > When I try to run jackd with less than 50ms latency sound is garbled and
> > broken...
> > I am using the builtin maestro3 for audio and an Edirol UM-2 for MIDI.

Wow...Finally something I have experience with! :)

I am using the Maestro 3 chip on a Dell CPXj 650 w /256 MB Ram. I can
run Jack under "su root" at 2 x 1024 without but a few Xruns. I'm
running MDK 9.2 with Thacs MM Kernel. I had problems at first mainly
because I had an identical laptop that only had 128 MB of memory. This
mostly caused the machine to slow under X and use more CPU.

Items suggested to me were setting /tmp as a ram fs for Jack. I think
this helped a little. Also shutting of all unnesesary daemons and
services like apm, apci, etc. I getting what I estimate to be about 10ms
latency. No problem for the live application I'm using it for which is
fx processing on a PA for vocals and acoustic guitar. I was using Ardour
as the LADSPA host (major underusage of Ardour!) but now I started
experimenting with Alsa Mod synth so I can try using midi control over
the effects.