[linux-audio-user] midi issue and Event EZBus letter

Subject: [linux-audio-user] midi issue and Event EZBus letter
From: Kent, Gary (gkent_AT_mhc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 17:01:30 EET

Hi:
        Sorry for the general-ness of this message, but I have hooked up
my Motu USB MIDI Express XT (thanks to Clemens) to my Linux Planet CCRMA
box and it is being seen with everything falling in nicely; and I have
the ability to make the connections in Jack. I make them and use a Nord
Lead II as my main controller, but I cannot get Muse or Specimen or
anything MIDI related to see Midi events. I see the signal coming Out
of my Midi XT interface, but something is not seen in the applications.
In Muse I register my Midi interface ok, but actually pressing a key and
getting anything is a mystery. Could anyone give me some ideas on this
one?

thank you for any help given,
gk

p.s.--I wrote Event Electronics a short email (see below) regarding a
possible driver for their EZBus mixer/controller unit (a fantastic piece
of hardware). Hope I represented the Linux community ok on this. Bash
me if I am off on what I wrote :)

Hi:
        I bought an EZBus a couple of years back and I have had a lot of
success with it, considering it to be one of the best purchases I have
ever made. I use it every day and have no regrets. Also, technical
support with you guys has always been really great, maybe the best I
have ever experienced (could you guys give MOTU some lessons? ;)
        But, two issues that I think are a real drag about the EZBus:

        1)if a person wants to setup the EZBus for an OSX rig, then the
Mix Librarian and Midi Editor for assigning CC's and faders requires a
Windows PC! I just don't get this.

        2)Not to push the issue, but if you would make a stable driver
out of the goodness of your heart and issue it to the Linux community,
then follow up with an announcement on the Linux Audio Development/Users
mailing list, you would pick up a ton of business. You wouldn't even
have to give official support to the Linux users, but a driver for them
would swing lots of business your way. A free driver to this community
doesn't hurt your company because no one can duplicate the hardware.
This is the reason why I WILL purchase an RME or an M-Audio soundcard
instead of your EZ8 optical card. I referred a friend of mine to your
EZ8 card and he bought one, but he is a Windows user. Needless to say
he has been happy with it, but I am amazed that yet another manufacturer
can't seem to see that the Linux community is untapped. Most
manufacturers just seem to see the dread of writing a Linux driver, but
can't see that writing one that is tied to a hardware box (like the
EZBus) is a no lose situation. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Ok, I'll get off of my soapbox. I just hate to see a great product
limited to a few people, in this case, Windows users.
Anyone looking for a small format mixer/controller I would refer to your
product (yours is the product to beat as far as I'm concerned), but the
above two issues indicate to me that you guys just aren't looking ahead.

Hope I haven't been too harsh, thanks for good product that you are
making :)

gk