[linux-audio-user] Planet/Fedora/Nvidia Problem

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Planet/Fedora/Nvidia Problem
From: Greg Reddin (gtreddin_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 17:46:49 EET

This question is really more related to installing drivers to a
"non-booted" kernel.

My computer has an ASUS MB. The video (non-integrated) and network
require the nforce drivers from NVidia. I had manually installed
some audio tools including a lowlat kernel under RedHat 9. But I
decided to install Fedora Core 1 and use Planet CCRMA.

So I installed the CCRMA kernel and source. I didn't expect the
network or graphics to work when I booted the new kernel b/c I'd need
to install the NVidia drivers again under the new kernel. But when
Fedora got to the "graphic" portion of the bootup, the screen went
blank. I thought I'd just switch to VC1 and install from a text
logon, but I was never able to switch to VC1. Now, in hindsight, I
think I didn't quite wait long enough for the system to boot up so
I'll try again tonight. I was in a hurry and had to get to work this
morning.

But, if I had to boot the standard kernel, is there a way I could
install the NVidia drivers from there? How do I tell them to compile
against the lowlat CCRMA kernel? How do I tell them to install to
the appropriate place? It doesn't seem like this would be terribly
difficult. I just don't know what parameters/environment variables
to change.

Thanks,
Greg