Re: [linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Good Sound Card for Pro Multitracking
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 03:09:16 EET

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 16:26, Mr. Spock wrote:

> > Isn't 8+4+2 == 14 channels at 96K?
> >
> I didn't think S/PDIF was capable of 96K, but it would be nice :)
> At least I'd be able to get/send 96K in stereo to/from other gear,
> to see what I'm missing in 48K Land.

Oh no! I don't think so. Apogee makes D/A's that handle 24-bit 192KHz on
s/pdif. Here's a link:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/support/documents.php?show=minidac

This is a nice little converter. Or this one from Cranesong:

http://www.cranesong.com/hedd192.html

> > Vs. 8+8+2 == 18 channels at 96K?
> >
> ??? If you're meaning the Digiface here, wouldn't it also be
> 8+4+2 == 14, because for every 8 channels at 96K, you need a
> *pair* of ADAT i/o; the Digi only has three.

No, my stupid mistake. Sorry! I meant to say 48KHz in this case.

8 analog
8 ADAT channels == 4 @ 96KHz
2 spdif

for a total of 14.

My 002 Rack does 10 channels in and out at 96KHz - 8 analog and 2 spdif.
It doesn't support RME's 96KHz ADAT interface unfortunately.

Or 18 channels at 48K.