Re: [linux-audio-user] Kernel 2.6.x latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Kernel 2.6.x latency
From: James Stone (stone1_AT_btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 21:50:04 EET

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 06:21:15PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Sampo Savolainen hat gesagt: // Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>
> > Yes. I have pre-empt enabled from the kernel configuration. Is there
> > something I need to do from the running system to enable it?
> >
> > (I mean something like:
> > echo 1 > /proc/sys/.../lowlatency )
>
> No, you don't need something like this for preempt, AFAIK.
>
> Another thing to check would be your X server's nice value. This used
> to be "-10" in older Debians, but should not be set at all with 2.6.
>
> Check this in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config or
> /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.xserver-common-debconf
>
> ciao
> --
> Frank Barknecht _ ______footils.org__

How disappointing.. I just tried this, and it didn't help.. I was almost
sure this was going to work. I am still getting many more xruns than
with the low latency 2.4.x kernels though at least I am not getting
xruns on opening and closing windows!

However, on doing a top in 2.6.x I noticed that quite a few processes
are running with a nice of -10 (something called "event" among
others..). This does not appear to be the case in 2.4.x.. perhaps this
could be the source of the trouble.. not really sure how to fix it
though.

I will have to stick with 2.4.25 for the time being by the looks of
things.

James