Finale, was Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit-2.5.0 : Octaviation (va-lines)

Subject: Finale, was Re: [linux-audio-user] NoteEdit-2.5.0 : Octaviation (va-lines)
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 18:04:21 EET

On Friday 12 Mar 2004 3:36 pm, Joerg Anders wrote:
> BTW: To continue the FINALE2000 <--> Linux discussion: I
> can't find octaviation (va - lines) in "Finale NotePad 2003". Does
> the full version offer va- lines ?

Yes, of course it does -- as well as all the notation you referred to
in your previous email. Why don't you just download the demo?

You seem to have a bit of a misconception about what Finale is for.
It's a program for typesetting scores. It can do pretty nearly
everything anyone ever put on a classical score, and it can be
adjusted to end up with pretty much any layout. I don't _like_ it
very much -- in fact purely as a question of personal taste I think
it's a horrible program -- but it's certainly got a lot in it, and
there's absolutely no question that it supports a great deal more of
the field of score typesetting than editing software like NoteWorthy
or NoteEdit, neither of which is a WYSIWYG score typesetter at all.

As to whether Finale plays 8ve sections, dynamics etc: I have no idea.
It might, it might not. My guess is it probably does, but either
way, that's not really what it's for.

(Incidentally, it may be true that a lot of Finale or Sibelius users
might actually find they could do the same or better with other
software on Linux, depending on what they actually need. But the
fact remains that there is no program on Linux similar to either, and
neither is there any mature project aiming to produce one.)

Chris