Re: [linux-audio-user] latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] latency
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 04:55:30 EET

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 13:02, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:58:59AM -0600, Benjamin Flaming wrote:
> > On Friday 12 March 2004 12:17 pm, Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> > > Interesting idea, however I don't feel that any problems are solved by
> > > doing that. I am interested in using only one mixer for both monitors and
> > > mains.
> > >

> > > What do you consider "a tiny bit"?
> >
> > Your milage will vary ;) It depends on the positions of the monitors,
> > how loud they are, how loud the sound sources are, and how picky the
> > musicians are. It's just that it's much harder to get away with delay in the
> > monitors than it is in the mains.
>
> Indeed. Rule of thumb - 1 ms delay is roughly equal to the delay
> caused by 1 foot of distance. Aside from messing with the musicians'
> groove, a few ms delay can cause comb filtering when combined with direct
> sound from whatever the mics are pointing at. This can result in
> smeary-sounding treble and mushy bass.
>
> Personally, for my sense of timing, I think I can put up with anything
> under about 10 ms but I get really annoyed above that.

I have been using my laptop (Dell 650Mhz w/ 256 RAM) for fx on the PA
only. At first I was using Ardour as host but now Alsa Modular synth
because I can control FX with midi foot pedal (Small duo with midi
backing and live guitars / vocals) This is working very well for
standard Reverbs, delay and hopefully soon some vocoder stuff. But
messing with latencies, etc, I cannot see using this setup at this time
as a complete mixing solution. I can deal with anything under 10ms too
but it just doesnt help your groove at all! I'm a one man band and if I
need to pull something down or up quickly in volume, I need a knob to
grab...not fiddle with a mouse. Secondly, the stock soundcard in my Dell
(ESS Maestro3) I doubt would handle it well. And the lack of I/O's is
obviously an issue. I intend on trying a Echo Layla or maybe Delta 66 at
some point but for now my Linux laptop and LADSPA plugs is giving me
great flexibilty and sound, reliably, and a box to do this would easily
have cost toward $500.00 new. The laptop was a spare and Linux is NIX!
I'm happy!!

R~