Re: [linux-audio-user] extreme time stretching

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] extreme time stretching
From: derek holzer (derek_AT_x-i.net)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 02:09:17 EET

Doing some quick experiments with Soundtouch, I hear that it probably
isn't going to work for "extreme" timestretching. Even doubling the
length of a 4 minute soundfile results in *very* noticeable artifacts...
a kind of stuttering effect as the samples get pulled apart. You won't
be making a 24 hour Beethoven stretch with this one...

Seems like an FFT-based approach, or a very good synchronous
granulation, might be better. Pure Data has a nice phase vocoder demo
patch in its documentation. You'll have to fiddle with it to get stereo,
of course. But hey, it's only a help patch! ;-)

Other option is the Synchgrain external for PD, as I might have
mentioned earlier. I haven't tested the limits of it yet, but I know
that it sounded smooth at pretty slow playbacks.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 173: