Re: [linux-audio-user] measuring sound volume

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] measuring sound volume
From: davidrclark_AT_earthlink.net
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 00:08:27 EET

Regarding the inverse square law: Be careful!

This law applies to idealized situations such as point sources in isotropic,
homogeneous media. For a speaker in a tunnel, for example, it does not hold
true. Speakers have radiation patterns as do electromagnetic devices such as
antennae. Boundaries are also important. You will also have interference
effects, etc. I would anticipate that the inverse square law to be quite
inaccurate, but being outside will help. I love theory myself, but this
situation calls for the voice of experience. (Now if that voice says,
"Always use the inverse square law," please let me know.) The best thing
I can think of from a theoretical perspective (sort of) is to obtain the
speaker patterns if you can.