Re: [linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 19:34:02 EET

Daniel, I didn't catch your initial message. Why do
you want to do D/A. I would maintain digital all the
way unless I've got some external analog gear that is
very high quality.

--- Anahata <anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:49:03AM -0800, Mark
> Knecht wrote:
>

> > Over the top of all of these points, I think you
> want to be pretty
> > careful choosing your D/A. They do sound
> different.
>
> So the choice is between:
> - an internal DAC that may be of indifferent quality
> and pick up
> noise from the PC's internal electrical
> environment.

Do you know what type of power is used in digital
mixers? Is it variable filtered or constant? Or maybe
it's a mixture with constant to the analog circuits
and filtered for the digital.

I've never noticed any electrical related noise in my
computer but then I don't have any analog in that
system so there probably wouldn't be any. Is this
assumption consistent with your understanding of the
problem?

I don't know much about these issue but I'm curious
because my system will need analog i/o added. In fact,
I don't know if my terminology of filtered and
constant power is correct. Probably not.

ron