Re: [linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 19:39:41 EET

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 08:12:40AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Steve Harris wrote:
>

> >Yeah, my initial feeling is that JAMin should offer to dither, so you can
> >control it centrally before JACK gets it hands on it, and be sure the
> >recording will be an accurate reflection of what you hear.
> >

> I agree. I've never thought the dither option in Jack made sense to me.
> Jack should be a patch bay, not a processor. Too many options for mistakes.

JACK has to be able to dither - its receiving float data and outputting
ints - you cant reasonably ask every app to add dither to its outputs for
the case when thier going to ALSA, or for the user to attach a dithering
client to the output of every app that goes to ALSA.

> You *might* consider having 2 outputs from Jamin - dithered and
> undithered - so that possibly you could A/B the two. Please time align
> the two if you ever do add an option like this.

I was imagining you would be able to switch the dither on the fly in the
UI.

- Steve