Re: [linux-audio-user] MicroKorg -> MIDI -> Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MicroKorg -> MIDI -> Linux
From: Sampo Savolainen (v2_AT_iki.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 21:33:14 EET

Hi,

I'm presuming you use ALSA drivers instead of OSS.

The ALSA sequencer api works by providing sequencer input & output ports
for MIDI interfaces and ALSA sequencer enabled programs. To get the
device connected to, for example, a software synth, you have to connect
the MIDI interface to the software synth. (you can connect many inputs
to one output and/or one input to many outputs).

To see your inputs, write
$ aconnect -i

It should show at least this:
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer '
    1 'Announce '

To see outputs, write
$ aconnect -o

If you don't see any entries for your soundcard, then something is wrong
and you should look at the documentation for your soundcard on
www.alsa-project.org.

To connect an input to an output, write
$ aconnect [client]:[port] [client]:[port]

If you would like to play a .mid file on your MicroKorg, attach the
cable from your midi out to the midi in on the microkorg. Then:
$ pmidi -p 64:0 midifile.mid

(Or use whichever client number alsa has given to your midi out)

  Sampo S.