Re: [linux-audio-user] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a64-bit AMD laptop

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Major problem with RME HDSP/Multiface and a64-bit AMD laptop
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 11:42:19 EET

> ALL microprocessors have a 'Front Side Bus'. This is the physical
> bus between the processor and the chipset. It has to exist unless
> you get a processor built into the chipset itself.

According to the diagram I have from AMD, there is a DDR controller
built into the Opteron itself.

> but ALL systems have a memory bottleneck, in the sense that it's
> not unlimited bandwidth. It just may be less of a problem than
> other parts of the system.

Sure - if you remove one bottleneck, you discover another in the
chain. I suspect hard disc access will be the limiting factor on
these machines.

> The entry level price on these AMD-64 machines is phenominal - HP
> has one at only a few dollars over $1K.

It's got to be the most accessible 64-bit chip, especially here since
the dollar is weak at the moment. A 200 series Opteron (the SMP
capable type) is no more expensive than a 32 bit P4, let alone a Xeon
or a G5. And of course Linux users have a head start since we can
compile native code or use an off the shelf AMD64 distribution.

Cheers

Daniel