Re: [linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] External DAC for mastering use?
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_mondodesigno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 12:27:02 EET

> I'm not familiar with those monitors. Someone I know
> that has been mastering for years uses Tannoy. I
> forget the model.

These ones were made for the domestic rather than the studio market,
but the design is essentially the same:

http://www.hilberink.nl/plaatjeshans/tannoy/hpd3158.jpg

> Is the studio in the house?

Currently its about 18 miles away, but I might convert a building in
the garden for recording purposes. Do you know what the limitations
on the length of S/PDIF cables are?

> I'm not familiar with the 1010. Does it have A/D with
> a pair of A and D for I/O?

Yes, it has eight in/out jacks plus S/PDIF.

> A good preamp is a fine example of bang for the buck.

Absolutely - there are some very cheap mixers around now, but I do
wonder about the quality of their analogue engineering. Personally,
I'm very satisfied with the analogue stuff we have now, and I know
the limitations are in my lack of skill, not the equipment.

> If you do any accoustical design on the room,
> definitely post a message.

I will - it's all an experiment as far as I'm concerned. I've found I
learn the most that way.

Cheers!

Daniel