Re: [linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] couple of muse questions
From: James Stone (stone1_AT_btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 00:10:40 EET

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 09:44:51PM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > > Right. MusE does not run /well/ if it does not have access to rtc and
> > > realtime capabilities. Timing will be off.
> >
> > Yes.. I had found this before, but I _think_ when you build muse with
> > rtcap, it automatically uses realtime. The -R option is a bit unclear.
> > For example, in my system when running muse (without jack), it does not
> > start, I get:
> >
> > no locale <muse_en_GB>/</usr/local/share/muse/locale>
> > no JACK audio server found
> > ALSA: samplerate 44100 not available, using 48000
> > WARNING: Cannot lock memory:: Operation not permitted
> > WARNING: Cannot lock memory:: Operation not permitted
> > cannot set tick on /dev/rtc: Permission denied
> > precise timer not available
> >
> > (muse was compiled for jack though, and with rtcap support).
>
> Yep, it's a definitive bug. '-R' does not handle very well the special case
> when realtime capabilities are not allowed.
>

> > when I run it with jack running, it starts fine:
> >
> > no locale <muse_en_GB>/</usr/local/share/muse/locale>
> > JACK: sample rate changed: 44100
> >
> > Also timing seems fine (as long as I have given the kernel option
> > sysctl -w dev.rtc.max-user-freq=1024)...
> >
> > When I try to run it connected to jack with the -R startup option, it
> > does not start and gives me the error:
> >
> > no locale <muse_en_GB>/</usr/local/share/muse/locale>
> > JACK: sample rate changed: 44100
> > creating watchdog thread failed:: Invalid argument
> > creating thread failed:: Illegal seek
>
> I'm not certain, of the top of my head, what this is, which version of MusE is
> it? I run MusE 0.6.3 always with -R. Is jack perhaps not started with -R ?
> (it's pretty much a requirement there too)

Yep.. its 0.6.3 and jack is run through qjackctl with realtime option.
Muse is compiled with rtcap so it is not suid (thought it was safer..)
but if I do change it to suid and then start with -R, it starts okay
with no error messages...?? Maybe rtcap does not enable enough realtime
capabilities!!?

Any hints?

James