[linux-audio-user] what's the best option here? / SosPubs article

Subject: [linux-audio-user] what's the best option here? / SosPubs article
From: Kent, Gary (gkent_AT_mhc.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 16:26:30 EET

Hi:
        Last nite I read that article in SosPubs about Linux. Most
folks in that article seemed to be using the RME HDSP 9652. I have been
looking at the MultiFace for awhile, but am starting to feel that the
best option would be to sink my money into some of the preamp/ADAT
optical out outboard gear that is starting to come on the scene such as
the M-Audio Octane, Tango24, or Behringher ADA8000 that feature lots of
preamps w/ ADAT optical outputs, and just using the HDSP9652 as a really
nice signal router into my Linux box. Would anyone be willing to share
with me the pros and cons of this approach?
        Up until now I have been thinking about sinking all of my money
into the MultiFace or a really high-priced audio card with minimal
outboard. Now I'm starting to think just the opposite that just using a
bare minimum optical card w/ decent converters and putting my money into
outboard would maybe be the best way. Any good advice on this, and if
so, any other cards I should consider?

Thanks very much,

gk