Re: [linux-audio-user] what's the best option here? / SosPubs article

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] what's the best option here? / SosPubs article
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 00:44:01 EET

Kent, Gary wrote:
> Thanks for this valuable input. So...if the HDSP9652 is not the
> best ADAT card available for Linux, would the Digi9636 (the HammerFall
> Lite) be a better option? I found a discussion of this very thing from
> earlier in the month, but am wondering why the AP2496 limits your
> options for real-time recording work? The AP2496 has no optical inputs
> and the DiO 2496 from M-Audio seems to be the only card they have that
> does have them, and that is only 2 X 4 in/out. I don't seem to have
> many options in choosing ADAT cards here.
>

> Mark Knecht from earlier March 8th post:
>
>>>Don't get the stand alone HDSP9652 or HDSP9636 until you make sure
>
> the Linux drivers will do what you need.
>
> You had said this on a previous post and I was wondering what you meant
> by stand alone. Which RME card seems to work the best for recording
> work? I'm looking at that new M-Audio Octane as a possibility. Am I
> correct in that the RME cards have the converters on them, or are the
> converters on the preamp/optical out interface?

Don't know what I meant, unless I was being careful about the RME
naming. Sometimes people say HDSP, HDSP9652, MultiFace & DigiFace. I'm
not commenting on the DigiFace or MultiFace of the HDSP PCI or Cardbus
cards. I'm only commenting on the HDSP9652.

I also own a Hammerfall Light. It worked under Linux, but I didn;t use
it much. Some time ago I removed it and it's sitting on my desk begging
for a machine to go into.